Pulmonary testing at Southlake Clinic
Southlake Clinic provides comprehensive testing for diseases affecting the lungs and respiratory system, including emphysema, bronchitis and other breathing disorders. Among the test procedures we offer are:
- Complete Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) includes a thorough evaluation of the respiratory system. This includes patient history, physical examination, chest X-rays, arterial blood gas analysis and other tests of pulmonary function. The purpose is to identify the severity of pulmonary impairment.
- Methacholine Challenge Testing is designed to determine whether a patient has asthma. The patient inhales gradually increasing doses of a medication called methacholine until there is a measurable change in pulmonary function testing.
- Spirometry is the measuring of breath. It is the most common of the pulmonary function tests (see above), measuring lung function, the volume and speed of air inhaled and exhaled. Spirometry is helpful in assessing asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis and COPD.
- ABG (air or arterial blood gasses) is a blood test that measures the arterial oxygen and carbon dioxide tension and acidity (pH) in blood. This information is vital for patients with critical illness or respiratory disease. ABG is one of the most common tests performed on patients in intensive care. ABG testing is mainly used in pulmonology and critical care medicine to determine gas exchange levels.
- CPET (Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing) is a noninvasive stress test. It includes exercise that stresses your body by making it work harder and faster. A condition that affects your heart, lungs or muscles will limit how these systems work. CPET assesses heart, lung and muscle functions individually, and how they work together.
For world-class pulmonary testing for your breathing problems, call Southlake Clinic at (425) 251-5110 or fill out our online Request an Appointment form to schedule your consultation with us. We have clinics in Covington, Newcastle and Renton, King County, WA.